Welcome!

Welcome to my blog spot. I hope you enjoy my posts that I retrieved from thee archives. I phirst started interviewing while living and working abroad in South Korea. Each individual(s) that I interviewed has (or at the time had) a unique style. Check the talented ones I interviewed from way back in 2008 til now. I took a short break from interviewing & Dee Jaying so follow me as I pick up where I left off.. iViews... DJ Risque'

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Forward Progress (Dat Bul)


SN: This was my very first interview while living in South Korea.



PHL: Tell the people where you are from. 

DAT BUL: I'm from a small hood on the outskirts of Philly named "Richlieu".  I loved growin up there.  We had the same struggles that any other hood has, but for me the good times outweigh the bad.

PHL: How long have you been rhyming?

DAT BUL: Well I have been rhyming since the 80s, but I was just a child and it wasn't nothing serious.  I was just imitating my rappers.  I'd say I've been rapping at a high level for about 100 years now.

PHL: Who or what inspires your flow?

DAT BUL: My flow is inspired by experiences of my life.  I like to sit back and absorb what is going on around me then funnel it into my flow.  Sometimes I won't write for a few weeks and I jus let it build up until It's gotta come out.  Then I grab the notebook and just go crazy wit it.

PHL: How do you feel about the hip hop industry today?

DAT BUL: Ahhh the hip hop industry is overwhelming!  It's at a point where I don't even want to be involved.  I've dreamed of being a big time rapper my whole life and now I'm at a point where honestly I don't know if its worth it.  The bad thing is once you get that fame, you can't escape it.  I'm not a dude who really wants the fame.  I just want to influence lives with my music in a positive way.  The industry is designed to keep the artist in debt and secluded from ordinary life and that wasn't part of my dreams.  I will always be writing rhymes and spitting flows but unless there are major changes with the industry I want no part of it.

PHL: You have a song titled smile, what were your thoughts as you wrote that song? 

DAT BUL: Well my Mother passed away this past year and it really hit me hard.  I was overseas when I got the freak call that she was on her deathbed.  I went home to Philly to regroup and be with my family and of course put my Mother to rest.  I stopped rapping and lost my fire for life.  However, one of the last important convos I had with Mother was how she was telling me that whatever I do I must keep rapping.  She said "I gotta try.!  I gotta do me and keep at it."  She said my msuic touches people of all races and ages.  I had to wrtie a positve song mainly for myself.  See, alot of my music is for my own personal therapy to help me cope with the pain that we all deal with.  So maybe someone else out there can relate to me and take something positive from a song or a verse.  Whenever something bad would happen my Mother would jus tell me to push through it and find the blessings in disguise.  She said smiling makes you feel better on the inside and Lord knows I needed to feel better.

PHL: So, what does the future hold for Dat- bul? 

DAT BUL: Honsetly, I don't know.  Haha.  I'm at a point in life where I can only take it day by day.  Everytime I make long term plans somehow they get screwed up and I begin to blame myself.  I strongly believe God has a plan for all of us so, all I can do is go along with his plan and accept the path he has chosen for me.  Of course, I'll be making music but who knows where I'll be and what I'll be doing.  I'd like to start a family one day but, I'm sure not gonna force anything.

PHL: Dat-bul is a unique name, what's the 411 on the name?

DAT BUL: I was in a talent show back in 1999 and I didnt really have a name.  So, before I went on I told the host of the show to introduce me as Dat-Bul.  She said "OK Dat-Bul what?" I was like that it's just Dat-Bul.  Then I gave a very controversial performance where I spoke to the judges of the contest in a very vulgar way.  I didn't like how they were showing favortism to the gospel groups and not giving the hip-hop and rR-n-B acts credit, so I let them have it. Hahah! It was very immature of me to act that way, but hey thats life.  Anyway, the name stuck with me ever since.  Dat-Bul (that boy) is a Philly word meaning any person who is at the top of their game.  Anybody can be Dat-bul (or Dat-Girl  ) at whatever they do as long as they do it to the best of their ability.  Just try not to spell it the same as me haha! I know how alot of those rap dudes be swagger jacking all crazy!

PHL: Do you have any people that you would like to recognize?

DAT BUL: Yea my family.  The HImalayas.  Legendary emcees from Philly who never got the credit they deserve but, its all good.  We get respect in the streets.  Philly stand up!  Richlieu Whatup, I luv u. Everybody locked down hold ya head.  Every body in the struggle keep fighting your battles.  Peace!

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment